Setting up in-app purchases
If you plan to charge for your issues or offer subscriptions, you must set up an in-app purchase for each issue with Apple. For information on how to do this, see 'Managing Your In-App Purchases' in the iTunes Connect Developer Guide (available to registered Apple iOS developers at http://developer.apple.com).
The process, as it exists as of this writing, is as follows:
1. Go to http://itunesconnect.apple.com/ and log in (if necessary).
2. Click Manage Your Applications. The Manage Your Apps page displays.
3. Click your app. The app's page displays.
4. Click Manage In-App Purchases. The In-App Purchases page displays.
5. Click Create New. The Select Type screen displays.
6. To specify what type of in-app purchase you're creating, click one of the following buttons.
• Consumable: Do not use this option.
• Non-Consumable: Click this option to create an in-app purchase for a single issue.
• Auto-Renewable Subscription: Check this option to create an automatically renewing paid subscription.
• Non-RenewingSubscription: Check this option to create a non-renewing paid subscription.
• Free Subscription: Check this option to create a free subscription. (Use this option if you want to use Newsstand with free issues.)
The next screen displays.
7 In the Reference Name field, enter the title and date of the in-app purchase issue. For example:
• If you arecreating a Non-Consumable in-apppurchase,enter something like123Magazine - Single Issue.
• If you are creating a subscription in-app purchase, enter something like 123 Magazine Subscription.
8 If you are creating a Non-Consumable in-app purchase or subscription, enter your bundle identifier, followed by the issue name and date, in the Product ID field. For example: com.123productions.123magazine.price.issue.default.
• To associate this in-app purchase with an App Studio issue, display the issue's main page on the App Studio Publishing Portal, then enter this product ID in the Apple ID field.
• To associate this in-app purchase with a subscription, you will need to enter the subscription's information when you submit your app request on the App Studio Publishing Portal. For more information, see 'Requesting an App Studio app.'
9 To specify the language or languages of your issue, click Add Language and follow the instructions on the screen.
10 If you are creating a Non-Consumable in-app purchase, check Cleared for Sale and choose the price tier you want from the Price Tier drop-down menu. (For a corresponding list of prices, click View Pricing Matrix.).
11 If you are creating an subscription in-app purchase, you must specify one or more available durations for the subscription. Click Add Duration and follow the instructions on the screen. The Create New In-App Purchase page displays.
• In the Product ID field, enter your bundle identifier, followed by the issue duration. For example: com.123productions.123magazine.6months.
• Check Cleared for Sale.
• If you are creating a paid subscription, choose the price tier you want from the Price Tier
drop-down menu. (For a corresponding list of prices, click View Pricing Matrix.)
12 In the Screenshot for Review area, click Choose File and upload a screen shot of what an issue of your app will look like when viewed on the iPad. Note that this image is only for review and will not be displayed in the App Store.
This screen shot can be changed later.
13 If you plan to offer subscriptions, click View or generate a shared secret on the in-app purchases screen for your app. You will need your Shared Secret when you submit your app request on the App Studio Publishing Portal. For more information, see 'Requesting an App Studio app.'
14 Click Save.
If you want to change the price of an issue after it has been approved, change the price of
its corresponding in-app purchase. Apple will not need to review the change.