When designing a job that will print in four-color process with extra spot colors, always check a PANTONE® COLOR BRIDGE® guide to see if the spots can be simulated effectively in CMYK. You may be able to eliminate some spot colors and the added expense of printing them. QuarkXPress 7 (and later) provides built-in access to the PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE coated libraries, which allows you to see if your spot colors can be converted to CMYK colors. To preview spot-to-CMYK comparisons:
- Create a layout that uses a color from the PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE CMYK EC or PC library (Edit > Colors > New > Model = PANTONE color bridge CMYK EC or PANTONE color bridge CMYK PC).
- Choose Edit > Colors to display the Colors dialog box.
- Select the spot color and click Edit.
- In the Edit Color window, choose CMYK from the Model drop-down menu. The percentages displayed will be the same as those listed in the PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE guide.
- View the color swatches for Original and New to see the difference between the spot and CMYK versions of the color.