In most cases you want multiple hanging punctuation options for a particular string of text. For example, if you want opening quotation marks to hang, you most likely also want the closing quotation marks to hang. Hanging Punctuation controls in QuarkXPress are therefore designed with a specific hierarchy in mind. To create a hanging punctuation instance, you first create a hanging punctuation Class. You then add the characters you want to hang in the Characters field of the Hanging Characters dialog box for the Class. Once you have saved the Class, you add the Class to the hanging character Set. A Set can contain many different types of Classes, each of which defines rules for how different hanging characters should behave. Once you have created a Set, you can then choose that Set in the Formats tab of the Edit Paragraph Style Sheets dialog. QuarkXPress 8 ships with several hanging punctuation classes and sets that are set up with the most commonly seen hanging characters. These can simply be selected for any style sheet you have created or applied in the Formats dialog box. To view training videos on working with Hanging Characters, click on one of the links below:
- Hanging Punctuation Basics
- Setting up Hanging Character Sets
- Advanced Hanging Punctuation Techniques
To create and apply a new Hanging Punctuation Set:
- Go to Edit > Hanging Characters.
- Click and hold on New > Class.
- In the Edit Hanging Character Class window, add the characters you want to hang into the Characters field.
- After youve named the Class, click Save.
Now that youve created a Hanging Character Class, you can add it to a Set. To do so:
- Click and hold on New > Set.
- In the Edit Hanging Character Set window, name the Set and click the checkboxes for the Classes that you want to include in it.
- Click OK and then click Save.
To add the Set to a Paragraph Style Sheet:
- Go to Edit > Style Sheets.
- Select the Style Sheet for which you want to select a Hanging Character Set and click Edit.
- In the Formats tab of the Edit Style Sheets dialog, select the Set that you want to apply to the Style Sheet in the Hanging Character Set popup menu.
- Click OK and click Save