To confirm typographic preferences:
- Create or open the project for which you want to confirm typographic preferences. If you want to configure typographic settings for all subsequently created layouts, make sure no projects are open.
- Choose QuarkXPress > Preferences (Mac OS) or Edit > Preferences (Windows). The Preferences dialog box displays.
- Click Paragraph in the list on the left and confirm that the paragraph settings are the way you want them. Check and change any of the settings to suit your layout and to catch your readers attention. In particular, pay attention to these settings.
- Using Hyphenation option in H&Js (Edit H&Js) lets you specify the method QuarkXPress uses to automatically hyphenate paragraphs when there is no corresponding entry found in your Hyphenation Exceptions dictionary. The setting you choose affects only paragraphs for which Auto Hyphenation (Edit > H&Js) is enabled.
- Click Character in the list on the left and confirm that the character settings are the way you want them. Check and change any of the settings to compliment your document. Be sure to pay close attention to these settings, as well.
- After confirming all the preferences, click OK.
Typographic preferences affect the way the text flows in a print layout. If you change these preferences later in the publishing process, you may face text reflow, so plan ahead.