You can use the Open and Save pane of the Preferences dialog box (QuarkXPress/Edit menu) to customize how the application saves and performs backups.
- Check Auto Save to protect your work from system or power failure. When this option is checked, the application automatically records changes to a temporary file in your project folder after a specified time interval. Enter the interval (in minutes) in the Every minutes field. You can specify a minimum time interval of .25 minutes. When Auto Save is checked, the default setting is Every 5 minutes. The application does not overwrite the original file until you manually save (File > Save). When you open the project after a system interruption, the application displays an alert indicating that the project will be restored to the last auto-saved version.
- Check Auto Backup and enter a value in the Keep revisions field to retain as many as 100 revisions of a project. Each time you manually save (File > Save), the application copies the previous manually saved version to the Destination folder you specify. The default setting for Auto Backup is unchecked.
- Click Project Folder to store revisions in the same folder with the project.
- Click Other Folder and then click Browse to choose a different folder for storing revisions. Consecutive numbers are added to the file name for each backup. When the last revision is created (for example, 5 of 5), the oldest revision in the folder is deleted.
- To retrieve a backup from the destination folder, simply open the revision file.
- Check Save Layout Position if you want the application to automatically remember the size, position, and proportions of your project window.
- Under Non-Unicode Support, choose an option from the Encoding drop-down menu to indicate how the application should display characters in non-Unicode text.