While there is no way to set password security within QuarkXPress itself, there are two ways to create a password-protected PDF. You can use the Security settings in the Mac OS X print engine when printing a low resolution PDF, or you can turn on the Security settings in Acrobat Distiller.
To add Security settings through the Print dialog:
- Go to File > Print.
- Click on the Printer button in the Print dialog. This will take you to the Print Driver dialog.
- Click and hold the PDF button and select Save as PDF in the drop-down menu.
- Click on the Security Options button.
Select the checkbox for Require password to Open document.
You can also choose 'Require Password to Copy text, images and other content' and 'Require Password to print document.'
- Click OK; then click Save.
Click Print in the QuarkXPress Print dialog.
Note: Using the Save as PDF method will create a low resolution PDF.
To add Security settings through Acrobat Distiller:
- Go to QuarkXPress > Preferences and select the PDF pane.
- Select Create PostScript File for Later Distilling and click OK.
- In Acrobat Distiller, go to Settings > Security.
- In the Security window select Require a password to open the document.
- Export the PostScript file from QuarkXPress via File > Export > Layout as PDF.