To reduce the overall file size for PDF files exported from QuarkXPress:
- Open the project/layout you want to export.
- Go to File > Export > Layout as PDF.
- Click on the Options button.
- Select the Compression pane of the Export as PDF dialog.
- Select your compression options and resolution changes for the images in your layout.
· If you select higher compression you receive smaller file sizes in your exported PDF files.
· If you select lower compression you receive larger file sizes in your exported PDF files.
Note: Remember that compressing the images in a PDF may not be the best choice for your specific workflow. For example, if you reduce image resolution below the optimum for your final output medium, your images will be grainy and pixilated in appearance at final output. Check with you pre-press professional to discuss the best options for your workflow.