Applies to- QuarkXPress 2015 & QuarkXPress 10
Background: In an EPub layout when the text is imported in an automatic text box the pages with automatic text boxes are automatically added to fit the entire text of the multiple stories into the layout. Thus when the layout is exported to E-book; different stories or chapters could not be identified.Furthermore these automatic text boxes are linked for continuous flow of the story cannot be unlinked with the unlinking tool to break up the individual stories.
Summary: It is a two-step process to get the each individual story to be published on a new page
Step 1: Linked Text Boxes to be Unlinked
To break up the stories first the boxes are unlinked using the Linkster unlink tool so that the text in the text boxes is not affected.
Following are the instructions as to how to use the Linkster to unlink the text boxes:
To use Linkster, first select the items you want to unlink. Next, choose Utilities > Linkster to display the Linkster dialog box.
Click Selection to unlink the selected items, or Pages to unlink a range of pages (specified in terms of absolute position). To unlink stories, click Unlink, then choose one of the following options:
• Option 1 creates three stories: one for the boxes before the selected box, one for the selected box, and one for the boxes after the selected box.
• Option 2 creates two stories: one for the boxes before and after the selected box, and one for the selected box.
• Option 3 creates two stories: one for the boxes before the selected box, and one for the selected box and the boxes after the selected box.
• Option 4 creates two stories: one for the boxes before the selected box and the selected box, and one for the boxes after the selected box.
Step 2: Tagging the stories.
Each story should be tagged as a new article in the Reflow tagging Window. There are several ways to add content to an existing reflow article:
• Select one or more picture or text boxes and then choose Item > Digital Publishing > Add To Reflow View > [reflow article name].
• Display the Reflow Tagging palette (Window menu), select the target reflow article, and then Select one or more picture or text boxes and click Add Component in the Reflow Tagging palette.
• Control+click/right-click one or more selected picture or text boxes and choose Digital Publishing > Add To Reflow View > [reflow article name] from the context menu
Each article will then display on a new page in iBooks or other e-book viewers.