Background: If the profiles used by QuarkXPress (or by a project that you are opening) are not located in their default profile location, the following message may display: ''Application' uses profiles not installed on the system.'This error is generated at the time the application is launched. QuarkXPress is designed so that it will choose the profiles from the Required Components folder (Applications > QuarkXPress > Required Components). Due to user permissions set by the system for the files or folder, QuarkXPress is not able to access the profiles. It also tries to locate the profiles in the System Profiles folder, but if the files are not found there, it generates this error. In some cases, If you install while logged in as the Root user, this problem can be resolved by simply reinstalling QuarkXPress.
Solution 1: Missing default profiles: Mac OS
This alert may indicate that QuarkXPress profiles have either been moved or were never installed correctly. To correct this situation on Mac OS:
- Navigate to [drive]:Users:[current user]:Library:Preferences:Quark:QuarkXPress 9. In this folder, delete the file named Color Manager.prf.
For 10.7.x & 10.8.x:
(On the Finder window, please press and hold the 'option' key (marked ALT) and on the menu bar, at the top, select Go to view the User Library)
- Navigate to [drive]:Applications:QuarkXPress 9:Required Components:Profiles. Copy the six profiles from this location and paste them to [drive]:Library:ColorSync:Profiles.
- Navigate to [drive]:Applications:QuarkXPress 9:For System, double-click the 'QuarkXPress Components' file, and reinstall the components in the default location.
Solution 2: Missing default profiles: Windows
This alert may indicate that QuarkXPress profiles have been moved or were never installed correctly. To correct this situation on Windows:
- Navigate to [drive]\Documents and Settings\[current user]\Application Data\Quark\QuarkXPress 9. In this folder, delete the file named Color Manager.prf.
For Windows 7:
Navigate to C:\Users\Current User\AppData\Local\Quark\QuarkXPress 9
- Navigate to [drive]\ Program Files\Quark\QuarkXPress 9\Required Components\Profiles. Right click on each profile and choose Install. (If the profile is already installed, the contextual menu will show Uninstall Profile.)
Solution 3: Missing custom profiles
This alert may also indicate that custom profiles used by a project or associated with QuarkXPress may be missing. If this is the case, copy the missing profiles into the following folder:
- Mac OS: [drive]:Library:Colorsync:Profiles
- Windows: [drive]:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color
If the profiles are already there, verify that you have full read/write permissions for both the profiles and the 'Profiles' folder.
Solution 4: Insufficient privileges
Navigate to QuarkXPress 9.x folder ([drive]:Applications:QuarkXPress 9.x) and set the permissions to Owner: System, Access: Read & Write, Group: Admin, Access: Read & Write, Others: Read & Write.
If the error still occurs, then uninstall QuarkXPress, log in as the Root User (for Mac OS) or local admin (for Windows) and reinstall. For information on how to log in as the Root User on Mac OS, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528?viewlocale=en_US