Here is the approach and I recommend that each one of you follow this as well.
- Download the Oracle VM Virtual box on your host/primary Windows machine/laptop where you typically do all your testing and create a VM. Ideally install Windows 2012 and SQL Server 2012 on this Virtual Box VM.
- Now login to this VM and download the installers for the release that you want to test.
- Install all the components of this specific release on your VM.
- Now switch back to your host/Primary machine and within the C:/Program Files/Quark, create a folder which identifies which version of the Enterprise Suite is contained in it (Refer screenshot below).
- Now simply copy all the installed components (folders) from your VM to your host machine.
- Modify the QLA properties file for your QXP, QPP and QXPS to point to your local/public QLA and update the serial number, if needed
- Restore the DB into your local SQL Server running on your host machine
- Launch the QPP Server and update the Storage Repository path
- You should be good to go.
- Repeat these steps for every new release (after uninstalling the old build on the VM) and you will have multiple versions of the software installed on your main test machine and can fire up the specific version of the software that you need for your testing.
- The only drawback is that you have to launch the Servers from the batch file and not as a Service, which should not have an impact on your testing in 99.5% of the cases.
- Also, Client applications like office adapters for Excel, Word etc. need to be un-installed / installed as per the specific release of the Platform that you are testing since you cannot have multiple instances of office applications with different adapters versions. It takes only a few minutes to un-install and install the specific release adapter.
I have also uploaded the base build of QPP 188.8.131.52 on box. Please download and deploy it on your setup using the steps mentioned above, from here: https://quark.app.box.com/files/0/f/5594761233/QPP_2015_(v184.108.40.206)